Help with a Federal Agency FAQ

The following frequently asked questions and answers can help you to determine if Congresswoman Lee's office is the best resource to assist you:

Do you reside in the 13th Congressional District of the State of California?

Congressional courtesy and ethics dictate that each Member of Congress has the honor and responsibility of serving his or her own constituents. If you do not know which district you reside in,please use the Find Your Representative Service available at to learn how to contact your Representative in Congress. All you need is your zip code.

Is your situation a legal dispute?

As a member of the Legislative Branch, Congresswoman Lee is not able to become involved in legal matters or court cases. This restriction is due to the Separation of Powers as outlined in the Constitution applies to both civil and criminal matters.

Is your case proceeding within the agency’s normal processing time?

It is rare that a case can be “sped up” for any reason other than extreme hardship. If you believe your situation is taking too long or merits faster processing, please contact the District Office in Oakland. The staff will discuss your situation and help you determine the proper strategy.

Once you have answered these questions and determined that your case is something the office can assist you with, please feel free to the office via telephone, fax, US postal mail, or in person. If Congresswoman Lee's office can assist you, you must complete a privacy release so that the District Office can initiate an agency inquiry on your behalf.

Does your case involve a Federal agency?

As a Federal representative, Congresswoman Lee can make inquiries of federal agencies. If your issue concerns a state or local agency the office is happy to refer you to the appropriate government representative.  If your issue involves state, county, or local government, your public school district or other public agencies, please  for contact information on your elected representative. For your convenience, a list of many state, local and community based organizations is available at the bottom of the Help With A Federal Agency Page.